How Flipping Helps Me...

As I have mentioned before, I am not the "expert" flipper...Nor do I know a lot about flipping.  However, I have learned a lot from my flipping family and they have made my transition from elementary to secondary so much easier!

Flipping is a great tool I use in my high school classroom for "intimidating" topics.  I teach a class similar to Second Chance Reading where "word work" is important and necessary. The readers I have often need the instruction yet don't want to hear it.  So I was faced with this question: How do I teach the students what they need, yet ensure they absorb and meet our learning goals? FLIPPING!

I have created several videos for the word work (or Bridging Strategy, as we call it, adapted from Fusion Reading Program) portion of my lessons.

Often a Bridging lesson will look like this: 
-Student views the video independently and take notes (watching twice almost always happens)
-Student completes activity, often found at the end of the video, independently or with partner (student choice)
-Teacher checks notes and activity 
-Whole group activity next day over lesson topic 

I know this is not how everyone uses the flipped learning in their classrooms but this is how I use it and have found it to be most successful.  The students like being "in charge" of their learning and are not as resistant to the topics as they might be through whole group instruction.

Here is my website, which hosts most of my videos. Please feel free to watch them!
http://kerianreads.weebly.com/bridging-strategy.html

2 comments:

Libby Schwade said...

I like your flipping technique here is great! It works for you and your students...well done!

Anonymous said...

I don't think there is a "right way" to flip a classroom. If it's working for you and your kids, that's all that matters

Post a Comment