Student Feedback

Yesterday we had a two-hour late start due to the Polar Vortex that's hitting the entire country.

A two-hour late start means shortened class periods.  Therefore I thought the perfect activity for during the 20 minutes of class was some student reflection and feedback, which then prompts teacher feedback.

I had my Spanish I students, the class I'm flipping, answer two questions:

1.  What do I need to do this semester in Spanish I to be successful?  Consider things that you should continue doing from last semester and things that you should change from last semester.

2.  What does Mrs. Schwade need to do this semester to help me be successful?  Consider things that Mrs. Schwade has done in the past to help you and things that she needs to change to help you learn better.

I went old-school.  I printed them out on paper (*gasp) simply so I could sort and rearrange as necessary.

I simply asked students for honest and serious answers.  I promised they wouldn't offend me (not so easy to offend really) and I did ask them to write their names on the sheet simply so that I could ask them follow-up questions if need be. (And I did email some students for some follow-up responses.)

After the students answered, we discussed.  I asked students if anyone would be willing to share their answers, discussing one question at a time.  Common themes were found for both questions...students procrastinating, balancing their time better, actually completing the work.  Mrs. Schwade could continue to provide paper copies of things for those students who prefer paper, incorporate more group work, move at a slower pace.

All valuable comments.

During the discussion of the second question regarding what I could do to help students, one sophomore student blurted out, "And keep doing these."

Me:  What do you mean?

Her:  Keep asking us what is working and what isn't.  We give you honest answers because we trust that you will change what needs to be changed to help us better.......I appreciate being able to give input.

Me:  No problem.  I appreciate the feedback....this classroom is for you and your learning.  It's not about me.

Her comments and the comments from other students sharing how they would like certain things, usually simple things, changed remind me of the importance of stopping to reflect and having students give honest feedback.  Granted some students won't be entirely honest, but most will.  And it's important to listen to them.  I mean it is about them and their learning.

Also I think because this is my first year flipping that I'm more aware of wanting student feedback regarding how I can improve what I do in my classroom.  I've always asked for student feedback but usually not until the end of the year.  This year I've done it frequently...either as large group conversations or I sit down with a group of students and ask them questions about activities, structure, etc.  I'm not saying I'm doing everything well or even good, but student feedback helps me reflect on how to improve my practice.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes I forget that students, especially the older they get, know how they learn best. I like that you allowed them privacy, while leaving the door open for the extroverts to openly share their feelings with the entire class.

Anonymous said...

This is great. You are so good at getting that feedback.I need to put more of that into my classes.

Post a Comment