#theothermiddlechild

Well, here I am.  The "other" middle child. My name is Kirstin and I like to consider myself a vital part of this flipping family.  I add those "Ohh, Kirstin" moments where we all laugh.

Just a little background on me...I love a few things:
1) "The Office"
2) Candy
3) Teaching
4) My ridiculously lovable dog, Knox....oh, and my fiance :)

In my previous years of teaching, I was in 4th grade.  When I made the jump to 7th grade and HS reading, I was introduced to this flipping family.  They are great.  They have made my transition to the "secondary level" manageable.  They have "shown me the ropes", "taught me the lay of the land", and basically helped me survive.

It was through them that I learned of flipping.  Through everyday conversations, PLC days with the fam, and my own research, I have also become a fan of flipping.  While I have not been flipping for as long as they have, nor do I know as much about it, I have found ways to make it extremely useful in my classrooms. What do I love the most? The independence it instills in our students.  Instead of "Miss Kerian, what did we do yesterday?" or "Miss Kerian, how do I do this?" (for the 100th time that day), I now have a point of reference for their questions.  I am there to aid in and provide opportunities for learning, while generating independence and responsibility.  Flipping lends itself to just that.  It has aided in my skills and vocabulary lessons immensely.

So without going on and on, I want you to remember a few things: I teach JS and HS reading, I flip to the best of my ability but am not "fully flipped out", I love candy and am obsessed with Michael Scott.  #thatswhatshesaid .....Oh, and I use #hashtags often.

0 comments:

Post a Comment